Hot Posts

6/recent/ticker-posts

Ad Code

Advertisement
Advertisement

Years Without Trial: Patience Jonathan’s Former Staff Decry Injustice After Six Years in Prison


 By Agboola Aluko, Lagos

M ore than fifteen former aides and domestic workers of Nigeria’s former First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan, remain behind bars at the Okaka Custodial Centre in Bayelsa State, six years after their arrest over alleged theft and conspiracy.

The accused individuals, arrested in 2019, have not yet been tried by any court despite being arraigned before the Bayelsa State High Court in Yenagoa. According to human rights advocates, their case has suffered over 40 adjournments, largely due to the absence of prosecutors, witnesses, and the complainant herself—Mrs. Jonathan.

Those detained include Williams Alami, Vincent Olabiyi, Ebuka Cosmos, John Dashe, Tamunokuro Abaku, Emmanuel Aginwa, Erema Deborah, Precious Kingsley, Tamunosiki Achese, Sunday Reginald, Vivian Golden, Emeka Benson, Boma Oba, Salomi Wareboka, and Sahabi Lima.

The charges against them are staggering—ranging from armed robbery, burglary, and stealing, to conspiracy to commit murder. Court documents allege they plotted to kill the former First Lady at her residence in Otuoke, Bayelsa State. Items allegedly stolen include gold bangles, Samsung electronics, and furniture, all reportedly valued at ₦200 million.

Pleas From Behind Bars

Speaking from the custodial center, some of the detainees claimed they were falsely accused, adding that the incident in question occurred at a residence where they did not even work.

“We were arrested just because we were part of her domestic staff. Since then, no proper evidence has been shown in court. There’s been no progress in our trial,” one detainee lamented, calling for intervention from the public and legal authorities.

Another detainee alleged torture and said threats to their lives were made in police custody. “We were beaten and tortured, and she [Patience Jonathan] listened on the phone while it was happening. She even demanded that we be brought to her hotel,” the detainee claimed.

Families Cry Out

Relatives of the detainees have joined in the call for justice. Gladys Achese, sister to one of the defendants, described visits to the prison as traumatic. “My sister consoles me when I visit, even though she’s the one imprisoned. We’ve begged Patience Jonathan directly, but nothing has changed,” she said.

Another relative, Boma Hubert, whose brother Reginald Sunday is detained, revealed that the former First Lady has never appeared in court to testify. “She is using her influence. The court was more active before, sitting twice a month, but since 2023, it’s only once monthly. There’s no real progress,” he added.

Steve Ibiene, brother of detainee William Alami, expressed dismay at what he calls a deliberate attempt to frustrate the legal process. “How can someone be in jail for six years without conviction? If they’re guilty, sentence them. If not, release them,” he said.

Legal Deadlock

A legal representative from Tech4Justice, a human rights group involved in the case, confirmed the lack of judicial momentum. “The prosecution hasn't even closed its case. The accused haven't opened their defence. There’s no sign of urgency,” said Funmi Adedoyin, a legal associate at the organisation.

Adedoyin criticized both the judiciary and law enforcement, citing the frequent absence of police prosecutors and the elevation of the presiding judge to Chief Judge—an event that diverted her attention from the matter.

“Efforts to secure bail have been consistently denied. The police knew that theft is a bailable offence, so they included an outrageous charge—conspiracy to kill Patience Jonathan—to justify keeping them in detention. There is no real evidence for that allegation,” Adedoyin explained.

She also shared a tragic account of one female detainee who lost her child during her time in custody but was not allowed to attend the funeral. Three of the detainees are currently on conditional bail for health reasons.

A Call to Action

Families and legal advocates are urging the Attorney General of the Federation, the Chief Judge of Bayelsa State, and the National Human Rights Commission to intervene and ensure that the accused receive fair and speedy trials—or be released.

“This is no longer about guilt or innocence. It’s about fundamental human rights. Six years without trial is a travesty of justice,” Adedoyin concluded.

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Advertisement

Ad Code

Advertisement